Every Monday is Health at Work day here at The Daily Mind.
Today I want to tell you about the benefits of freshly made fruit and vegetable juice. Many years ago I got into freshly made juice when I was on a health kick and now I really take for granted how good this stuff is for me. This morning, however, I was meeting a friend in the city central markets before work and as usual I grabbed a fresh juice. I suddenly remembered you guys I decided that I would try and convince you to try some fresh juice on your way to work tomorrow.
What do I mean by fresh juice
When I say fresh juice I am talking about juice that has been juiced right in front of you. Many health food stores sell this stuff when you can get a combination of vegetables and fruits juiced right in front of you. This type of juice is one of the best things you can do for your health.
What I am NOT talking about is bottled juice from the store. This stuff has been heated up and had so many preservatives added to it that it can no longer be classified as a health drink.
Why is fresh fruit and vegetable juice so healthy?
There have been numerous studies done on fresh juice and they have all shown that it is an extremely healthy thing to do. Some of the main reasons include:
- More absorbtion: When you drink your fruits and vegetables you absorb up to 80% more of the nutrients. That is a massive amount of minerals, vitamins, etc. that you would otherwise be missing out on.
- More fruits and vegetables: People in today’s world are not eating anywhere near the required amount of fruits and vegetables. Jucing them allows you to pack more into your day thus helping your health.
- Good for your organs: Juicing your fruit reduces the amount of work your digestive organs have to do and has been shown to increase the health of the liver, kidneys, etc. This kind of thing leads to better immunity and overall better long term health.
One of my favorite benefits, however, is the sheer variety of vegetables and fruits that you can get in one sitting. This morning I had a delicious juice with beetroot, ginger, apple, carrot, celery and wheatgrass juice. There is no way I would be able to eat all these for breakfast without the juicing!
Other benefits of freshly juiced fruits and vegetables
One of the main reasons I get fresh juice on a regular basis is simply because it makes me feel good. After a big cup of fresh juice I always feel lighter and much more energized and that energy seems to last for a lot longer than regular foods and drinks. It certainly makes me feel better than a coffee.
Other benefits include:
- Weight loss: if you drink fresh juice you are likely to lose weight. The body loves natural foods like this and responds really well. You also don’t need any sugar and kick start your metabolism without the calories
- Concentration: I find I concentrate really well at work if I have had a good juice before I get there. It wakes me up and as I already mentioned it makes me feel light and energized
So what do I put in my freshly squeezed juice?
Last year when I was short term attendant for a Buddhist master from Nepal we chatted about freshly squeezed juice. He was also of the opinion that it was on of the best things you could do for your health and mind. He told me that there are five perfect things to have in the juice and that according to Tibetan medicine they are a perfect balance of “hot” and “cold” foods. They are:
I had this combination this morning and I think it is my favorite. Foods like ginger and beetroot really clean out the blood which is a great way to cleanse your body and heal and minor health problems. However, don’t feel limited by this combination – feel free to add any fruits of vegetables that you like.
Will you try it?
On your way to work tomorrow I’d love you all to stop and buy a freshly made juice for breakfast. Take it to work with you and let me know how your day turns out. I bet you feel better than ever!
Originally posted on May 27, 2008 @ 4:21 am