Traveling is almost always a welcome thing for a host of reasons. However, some people face several issues when away from home. Whether it’s a business trip or a vacation, there may be tiny details that somehow take away from the experience.
One of them is having trouble falling asleep.
This problem is not limited to business trips and vacations, in fact. Have you ever had to spend a night at a friend’s place and found yourself counting sheep till 2 in the morning? I’m guessing the answer is yes.
It’s not your fault, really. Science says that when we are at an alien place, our brain goes on survival mode. Half of it stays awake to keep watch – much like soldiers on the field take turns standing guard. The difference being that they have more manpower to do the job.
With half of our brain being on the lookout, it’s understandable that we can’t fall asleep, much less get quality sleep.
Knowing this, if you’re a chronic “I can’t fall asleep when I’m not at home” person, then you need to make some preparations to solve the issue. Knowing how to sleep away from home can spell the difference between a successful business trip and an epic fail. It can make the difference between having the time of your life or having the worst vacation ever.
The Key To A Rejuvenating Getaway
So, what can you do?
Here are some tips on how to sleep away from home, all put together in one graphic.
A quick look:
- As much as possible, book a room on higher floors. This will minimize outside noise.
- Make sure you have blackout blinds.
- Install a white noise app on your phone, or go the old school way – use ear plugs.
- If you have space, bring your own pillow.
- Have a light dinner.
- Take a calming bath before bed.
- If you can’t sleep, don’t force it. Get up and do something you know will relax you, and then go back to bed when you feel calmer.
These tips are simple, but they can help you get that sleep you need when you’re away from home.
Do you have any tried and tested tips that help you sleep away from home? Let us know!
Leave a Reply