Did you know that there are more suicides at Christmas time than any other time of the year? Did you know there are more runaways, family arguments and violent domestic acts on the 25th of December than any other day of the year? This supposedly joyous time of year can actually be quite devastating. Many people experience a lot of angst, anxiety and family related stress.
In this post I want to give you 17 simple mantras that you can use to help you get through your Christmas issues.
1. Today is only 24 hours long
2. Tomorrow will be better
3. Everyone here is doing their best
4. These people are my family, I should give them a second chance
5. I should try to be an example for everyone here
6. Do it for the children
7. Christmas is not about gifts
8. Patience is the most powerful retaliation
9. Compassion can get me through anything
10. Anger only results in more anger
11. Everyone has their own problems that made them this way
12. I did the best I could
13. I don’t dislike that person, I dislike their behavior
14. I will love each person like my own mother
15. There is no shame is responding with humility
16. This person will be gone one day, is this argument worth it?
17. Just be happy
I know these mantras are nothing special. However, sometimes when you are feeling anxious or angry you need a little mental reminder to keep you on track. For all of you out there who feel like Christmas is a horrible time of year, please remember that it won’t last forever. Try to have a good day.
From the bottom of my heart I wish all of my readers out there a fantastically Merry Christmas! I hope your day is generous, positive and extremely love-filled. I hope that tomorrow you reconnect with your family and friends and put aside your differences and squabbles and just enjoy the opportunity to be together.
Originally posted on December 24, 2008 @ 7:31 am