Chinese philosopher, teacher, politician, poet – and so much more – Confucius has spread his teachings all over the world, although he probably didn’t realize just how much of an impact he would have in generations to come.
Confucianism was born out of his teachings and is considered to be a religion by some. Often, though, it is described as a way of life.
If there is one thing that describes Confucianism, it is its emphasis on being all-encompassing humanism and tolerance of different faiths.
Now that is something we could all learn from even in this modern life. While not all of us may have the time to read all of the works of Confucius, we can pick out a selection that will help us deal with mundane things we encounter – from difficult times and falling down to seeing beauty around us to being “the superior man” to revenge…
Here are 11 of the best Confucius quotes.
1. Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
2. Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.
3. They must often change who would be constant in happiness or wisdom.
4. Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.
5. Things that are done, it is needless to speak about…things that are past, it is needless to blame.
6. When you know a thing, to hold that you know it; and when you do not know a thing, to allow that you do not know it – this is knowledge.
7. It doesn’t matter how slow you go as long as you do not stop.
8. The gem cannot be polished without friction nor man without trials.
9. The superior man…does not set his mind either for anything, or against anything; what is right he will follow.
10. Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.
11. Respect yourself and others will respect you.
When you’re feeling particularly down, angry, sad, or [insert negative emotion here], take a look at these quotes again. You just might find a gem or two to lift you up.